Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The River by Gary Paulsen reviewed by Hunter
Genre: realistic fiction

I read the book “The River” by Gary Paulsen. I liked the book “Hatchet”, I thought this book would be just as adventurous so that is why I decided on “The River”. This book is about a kid named Brian Robeson and Derek Holtzer (who is a government psychologist). Derek wanted to experience what Brian had encounted during the months he was lost over again. “Do it again, in the woods, with a knife not a hatchet, are you crazy?” Derek says, “but this time you will be with me and I will be taking notes so I can teach others the ways of survival.” Derek also wanted to bring all survival equipment and devices for this research. Brian was dead set against him bringing any survival gear except for the radio, just in case something happened.

Brian Robeson is the main character of this book “The River”. He is a young boy who has gone through: his parents splitting up, surviving a plane crash, living in the woods for almost 3 (three) months by himself, living without the luxuries of home, and mostly surviving. His character is couragerous , tough, hero, strong, determined, keen on his senses, all the movies that he had watched helped him with surviving, and determined to stay alive.

My opinion of this book “The River” is that you can’t put the book down. It is so exciting! I don’t like to read but in this case, this book is a must read book. The thrills, wilderness, adventures and the not knowing the end results kept me on edge while reading this book. I am looking forward to reading another Gary Paulsen book.

No comments:

Post a Comment