Friday, March 19, 2010

Fever Reviewed by Caroline S.

The book Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson is a striking and unforgettable book. This book is about a girl named Mattie who struggles when her town got hit with the “yellow fever” and the whole town went upside down. Almost everybody got hit with the fever, causing the whole town to get out of order. Many of the jobs weren’t able to get done. One of the things that weren't able to be done were the mailmen being able to deliver the mail. So if you wanted to send a letter to a family member or friend that didn’t live nearby to make sure that they’re okay and don’t have the yellow fever, you wouldn’t be able to.


Mattie really wants to take care of her mother because she got sick and didn’t want her to get the fever that was spreading, but her mother doesn’t want her to. That’s because if Mattie was to take care of her, then she would most likely get sick too. Throughout this story, Mattie struggles because of the fact that her town is out of order. I would too! Imagine just walking the streets without any noises at all. Maybe the only thing you would hear were cries from people who just lost a friend or family member. Throughout this story is excitement but sometimes sadness. But I recommend reading this book to everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I liked how you did two paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds like a really interesting book, how she is trying to help her sick mother so she doesn't get the yellow fever.

    Hailee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book, but I didn't really know what it was about, just that all of my friends were reading it. Now I do now what it's about, and I'm going to go to the library right now and get it to take on vacation with me. Thanks!!!!!!!
    -Claire
    ps. Now I get why her eyes are yellow on the front cover. Yellow fever. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete