Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Mother Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick

Reviewed by Claire W.




Hey! My name is Cassidy Sloane, and my mother was a famous model, Clementine Sloane. But I like to play ice hockey and I am a tomboy, unlike my fashion fiasco mom. My sister, Courtney, has a lot in common with my mom. The only person I used to be like was my dad, but he passed in an accident when we were still living in California.


Hi. My name is Jessica Delaney, Jess for short. I work on a farm with my dad and two twin brothers. My mom ran off to New York to be an actress, but I miss her a lot. I’m also really smart, but super shy.


Hello! My name is Emma Hawthorne. My BFF is Jess, but I still like everybody else! I’m not really into fashion, mostly because of my curves. (But, I sort-of do care because my crush, Zach Norton, goes to my school.)


Hi! My name is Megan Wong. I have a passion for fashion, and sketch all of my beautiful ideas in a sketch book, which my “tree hugger” mother hates. My friends and I are called the “fab four” (not in a good way) by Jess (goat girl), Emma, and Cassidy. I used to be friends with Emma, but my father invented some crazy machine and we got rich quick, so I grew up.


In The Mother Daughter Book Club, these four different girls learn a lot about friendship, love, and loyalty. When their mothers (all except Jess’s) form a Mother Daughter book club, they are forced to have a meeting each month at each girl’s home.


I liked this book because it was really interesting to see all of the girls' points of view. It was cool to see the girls became friends through the book club even though they didn't like each other in the beginning. In my opinion, I don't think boys would like this book because of the focus on girls.

3 comments:

  1. I really like how there's different points of view, it makes the book more interesting. It's like in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, there are many different views of people and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline brings up a good point. You made it as if the charecters spoke for themselves. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (From the author)
    Yes, that is how the book is. Each chapter is a new girl's point of view!

    ReplyDelete