Friday, December 11, 2009

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin:Reviewed by Simran P.

Where The Mountain Meets the Moon is a book I really enjoyed. This phenomenal novel is by the award-winning author and illustrator Grace Lin who lives in Somerville, Massachusetts. To briefly describe the plot, I would say that the story is about a young girl of a village in Fruitless Mountain who goes on a dramatic journey to bring fortune into her small village. Minli's Ma and Ba spend long hours in the fields, trying hard to provide for the family. Minli's Ba tells her tales about the Jade Dragon and the Old Man of the Moon, while her Ma discourages him for filling the little girl's head with foolishness. Minli though, strongly believes in the remarkable stories, and starts on her quest, leaving her parents hopeless and worried. Along the way, she meets helpful characters and a large dragon with a very big heart as well, that accompanies her on her journey.



The two main characters in this story include a hopeful, kind ,wise, courageous, and very determined young girl named Minli, and a dragon who is caring, protective, and humble. Like Minli, he too has a goal or dream. With a gigantic and powerful partner by her side, Minli is positive her journey won't be a thing her family, friends,and she herself will ever regret. The characters in this book are not only inspiring, but also very enjoyable to read and get to know.



I would give this excellent book a rating of 5/5 stars. There are many reasons why I chose to give this book such a high rating. First of all, I love the genre of this book. Fantasy is definetly one of my favorite genres, and I'm glad it's the genre of one of my top favorite books.

Also, Grace Lin is an author I'm very inspired by. All of her books are very welcoming, and likely to just reel you in by the very first chapter. Last but not least, I love how there are little stories within the story that help you understand it better. I think this is a book that both a girl and boy would enjoy. All in all, I loved this book!



This 278 paged book will in no doubt catch your interest. So, now that you have a pretty good idea of what this magical novel is like, rush to the library or local bookstore to get it. If you get there fast, you might even be lucky enough to get the hand-autographed copy of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. I hope you enjoyed my review! :)












1 comment: