Sunday, December 6, 2009

Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton: Reviewed by Caroline S.

Have you ever wondered what the dangers are when you’re playing your favorite sports? Well Bethany Hamilton didn’t really think about it that much before her accident occurred. That's why Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton is such a shocking book. While Bethany was doing her favorite sport, surfing, she got the last thing that she wanted.



Halloween morning, she went out for her normal morning surf. While she was surfing, she got attacked, just like that. She didn’t even know that a shark was coming towards her. She just was lying on her surf board, waiting for a good wave to come with her arm dangling in the water. She thinks that because of her watch that was on her wrist, and something reflecting off of it is what attracted the shark. She only felt a pinch when the shark bit off her arm. That’s the total opposite of what I would think! I think she didn’t really think it hurt because she was in total shock. I thought that she would just pass out on her surf board. But nope, she persevered and got back to the beach. She obviously didn’t paddle back to the beach by herself because then she would just go in a circle. So it was good for her to know that whenever she needed help, she was able to get it from someone that cared about her.



Throughout this whole experience, she knew that God would help her through it all. Not physically, but mentally. If I were Bethany, the only thing that I would be thinking about would be, “Will I ever be able to do this again?” You won’t believe the fight that Bethany fought to get back out in the water. She knows that it won't be easy, but she was still up for it.


I recommend people reading this book because Bethany Hamilton really makes you feel like you’re in her feet going through this whole experience. I think that any one that likes to read about someone in a bad situation and see them triumph, then I think that you should read this book.

1 comment:

  1. Caroline I think that that must have been a difficult story for Bethany to tell, but I think I would love this book!!

    ReplyDelete