Sunday, November 15, 2009

Everything on a Waffle, by Polly Horvath


http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Waffle-Polly-Horvath/dp/B001JDL4EI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258377217&sr=8-2




Review by Ms. Greenberg

I just finished Everything on a Waffle, by Polly Horvath, and I loved it. I found out about the book when Ms. Connolly gave a book talk about it earlier in the year, and I've noticed a lot of you reading it.

For those of you who haven't read it, the book is about a girl named Primrose whose parents are lost at sea. Everyone thinks that they are dead, but Primrose knows they're still alive and will be home soon. While she is waiting for her parents to return, she makes friends with the owner of a restaurant called The Girl on the Red Swing, where every single item on the menu is served on a waffle. Primrose is a resilient character who seems very realistic, even though she is going through a situation to which few of us can relate.

I would recommend this book to anybody. Although the main character is a girl, I think that boys could relate to her as well.

I'd like to ask to those of you who have read the book: what do you think of the recipes between the chapters? Were they a distraction and a chore to read, or did they add to the experience of reading the book? Make comments on what you think!



9 comments:

  1. that sounds like a well written book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the recipes very anoying. I think they were there to help the story but I think it was breaking up the story. I did not like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dan H, I found the recipies anoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this book sounds good. Most of the books in Ms. Connoly's book talks are pretty good books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I might read this book, and ignore the recipes seeing Sam and Dan said they were rather annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ment to say that this book sounds great. I am going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your review! I thought that the recipes were nice because it showed that each memory connected to a recipe in her mothers cookbook.

    ReplyDelete